Skip to main content

Traditions & What We do on Valentine's Day.

We are big on family traditions and celebrations in our house. I've shared here before that I grew up in a chaotic unhealthy home**. There wasn't enough structure to have rituals and traditions. Naturally, I want to provide better for my kiddos. 

There are several reasons I think traditions are so important. They become a joyful constant in our lives despite the many chaotic changes that happen. They give our kiddos and us a time to look forward to when life starts to feel mundane. Most importantly, they create shared memories which create strong bonds. Holiday traditions and family rituals are an easy way to create a lasting family identity. 

In our home we don't just celebrate the major holidays like Christmas and birthdays. Minor holidays, like St. Patrick's Day and May Day, also get a bit of celebration. We have seasonal rituals as well. We use a chalkboard where at the beginning of a season we write down our plans: apple picking, ice skating, Shakespeare in the park, etc. 

I like to go big, but I think one of the keys to having successful traditions is sustainability. You have to keep it simple enough so that it's repeatable. Grace and flexibility are also needed. In the past we've celebrated Valentine's a couple days late. My kiddos would tell you that every fall we go apple picking and to the Scarecrow Fest, but some years it just doesn't happen. It doesn't need to be perfect for it become a cherished family tradition. 


I love our Valentine's ritual. It's fairly low stress. It provides time for me to reflect on how blessed I am to be my kiddos' momma. The kids look forward to it every year...they have already started counting down the days. We take ten hearts for each our kids and write little notes about how they make us smile, ways they've grown, things they do that make us proud, etc. We usually cut hearts out of construction paper, a different color for each kid, but you could get pre-cut ones at a craft store. We've learned it's much easier if we start reflecting and writing the heart ideas a week or so out. If we procrastinate and rush it we miss out on the blessing of getting to reflect on how awesome our kiddos really are. 

In the evening of Feb 13th, we hide the hearts around the house; kind of like hiding Easter eggs. The next morning the kids start hunting for them as soon as they wake up.We have a pin-up board in our dinning room where they usually get collected, but one year they just taped them to back of their chairs. 

To make the house a little more festive, we will also blow up a package of dollar store balloons. We are huge breakfast people, so  that's when we will have a thematic meal. This has varied from year-to-year depending on energy. The Valentine's day after BabyZ was born we had yet to get on a sleep schedule; I was exhausted, so Jeremy used a cookie cutter to cut hearts of sliced bread and made Valentine's cinnamon toast. 








You can see past Valentine's days here: 2012, 20132016, and 2017.

**Whenever I mentioned my childhood I feel like I also need to say I love my mom and am so proud of her. Her life hasn't been an easy one. I know that she tried her best, she tried to give me a better life than she had. She's gotten knocked down many times, but she's always stood back-up. I have two siblings who are much younger than I am, and she was a better mom to them than she was with me. She's taught me that it's never too late to grow and change...it's a tradition I'm hoping to pass down. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this one! I have been looking for article that will help me realize how I can express my love to someone. with this article I learned so much from you since can be useful when we celebrate valentines in our office at Camella Manors . I hope that you'll keep making more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.